My quest to make my 3/Ses "collector" cars

General car discussion and other related topics of interest for MN 3/S members.
curt_gendron
Administrator

My quest to make my 3/Ses "collector" cars

Post by curt_gendron » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:11 pm

Some of you already know what I've been up to, but since I'm finally done with the process, I figured I'd let everyone in on this awesome idea.

In the State of Minnesota a car has to be 20 years old to be eligible for collector plates. Most people know that. But there is a giant OR to this statement. If a car is 10 years old and they only sold 500 cars or less of a particular engine or body style it is eligible for collector plates. I was reading this statute back in May, and realized that my 99 VR4 should qualify for this. I contacted Mitsubishi and got a letter from them stating that 274 99 VR4s were imported to the USA. With this letter in hand and a copy of the statute, I went to the DMV and started the process to get collector plates. It took 60 days to get them, but they did come.

I then proceeded to check on my other two cars. My 95 Spyder was a little too many at 520. But my Stealth came in at 365. So I went through the process with that car. I just got those plates on Saturday. Here is a picture of my two "collector" cars:

Here is a link to the collector car statute: https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=168.10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; The part about the 10 years old and less than 500 vehicles is in Sub 1c.

So you may be wondering why its such a big deal. Well, Minnesota treats collector cars a little different. First of all, collector cars don't require front plates. We all hate those ugly front plates. LOL. Also, once you pay for the plates you are done. No more paying for tabs every year!!!

There is also one more possible advantage. A lot of equipment type laws are not suppose to apply to collector cars. And its kind of vague but it looks like the window tint laws shouldn't apply to collector cars. In Subd 1f of the statute I linked above it states:
No law requiring any particular equipment or specifying any standards to be met by motor vehicles shall apply to pioneer, classic, collector vehicles, collector military vehicles, or street rods unless it specifically so states.
And in the windshield statute which covers "glazing" material, or window tint it, does not state that the statute applies to collector vehicles.

Now if your 3/S is a 1991 model it qualifies for collector plates today. The 1992 3/Ses will be eligible on January 1st, 2012. So if you have a 1992, I'd recommend going to the DMV the first week of January and starting this process. If they don't screw it up, it will probably take 60 days. But if you get custom collector plates, there is always the chance of them messing up, so you mine as well do it in January so you have them for the driving season next year. Eric Dunn has collector plates on his 91 Stealth and I know Josh F is in the process of getting them for his 96 R/T TT.

One last thing to remember about collector plates. You do have to have at least one other vehicle with regular plates. And you are not suppose to use your collector car for "daily transportation needs." 8)

later,
Curt

Minnesota 3/S Facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home ... 02602&ap=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

stealththai

Re: My quest to make my 3/Ses "collector" cars

Post by stealththai » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:18 pm

where do you go to find out how many were made of your veh?

curt_gendron
Administrator

Post by curt_gendron » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:22 pm

stealththai wrote:where do you go to find out how many were made of your veh?

This page will give you a general idea based on the vin numbers issued for the twin turbo models: http://joeg.mi3si.org/3S_Production.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They aren't exact. If you think your car is close to the 500 mark, then you'll need to contact Chrysler if its a Stealth and Mitsubishi if its a 3000GT. I do have letters for the 95 R/T TT and 99 VR4s that will work for those years.

later,
Curt

Minnesota 3/S Facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home ... 02602&ap=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

wishIwasFast

Post by wishIwasFast » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:24 pm

I know my R/T would qualify, but this is the only thing that scares me..........
And you are not suppose to use your collector car for "daily transportation needs."

I drive the car about 3k miles a year. It is my summer car, but I drive it to work and to run errands (only on sunny days). So I wonder how much they would enforce that part of the law..........
Melissa:Silver Metallic '96 Stealth R/T (#75 of 115)
Firestorm Red '95 R/T

John:Pearl Yellow '94 Stealth TT Billet 19Ts, chrome ECU, 420lph FP
Pearl Yellow '95 Stealth TT~self-tuned~May '[email protected] (stock clutch/cat-back, 12.5psi)
April '09 G-Tech: [email protected] (stock clutch/cat-back, 15.5psi)post cut-out
mods to date:13g/17g turbo combo, ARC2, 550 injectors, HKS SMIC, MBC, Stillen DP, 3SX crank pulley, hotwired 300lph pump, adjustable FPR, cut-out, 30% E-85 70% 92 octane

badinblack

Post by badinblack » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:21 pm

wishIwasFast wrote:I know my R/T would qualify, but this is the only thing that scares me..........
And you are not suppose to use your collector car for "daily transportation needs."

I drive the car about 3k miles a year. It is my summer car, but I drive it to work and to run errands (only on sunny days). So I wonder how much they would enforce that part of the law..........

My father inlaw got pulled over on the way to work in his dart because of the collector plates. He didn't get a ticket but he gave him a pretty hard time about it.

wishIwasFast

Post by wishIwasFast » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:37 pm

My father inlaw got pulled over on the way to work in his dart because of the collector plates. He didn't get a ticket but he gave him a pretty hard time about it.
Boooo................ :(
Melissa:Silver Metallic '96 Stealth R/T (#75 of 115)
Firestorm Red '95 R/T

John:Pearl Yellow '94 Stealth TT Billet 19Ts, chrome ECU, 420lph FP
Pearl Yellow '95 Stealth TT~self-tuned~May '[email protected] (stock clutch/cat-back, 12.5psi)
April '09 G-Tech: [email protected] (stock clutch/cat-back, 15.5psi)post cut-out
mods to date:13g/17g turbo combo, ARC2, 550 injectors, HKS SMIC, MBC, Stillen DP, 3SX crank pulley, hotwired 300lph pump, adjustable FPR, cut-out, 30% E-85 70% 92 octane

curt_gendron
Administrator

Post by curt_gendron » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:14 pm

If I ever get pulled over driving one of my "collector" cars to work, I'll just say I'm going to some club meet or getting work done on my car after work. I doubt the cops are going to follow up on that afterwards.

Since the statute is very vague about the "daily transportation needs" I wouldn't be too worried about it. Just be prepared with some BS story if you do get pulled over. And try not to take it work all the time.

later,
Curt

curt_gendron
Administrator

Post by curt_gendron » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:02 pm

I wanted to bump this thread to the top again. If you have a 91 or 92 3/S, you should get your collector plates. Unless its your daily driver there is absolutely no reason not to have your 91 or 92 3/S a collector car.

Its January of 2012, so all 1992 models are eligible for collector plates now. You don't have to wait for your tabs to be due. If you are getting custom collector plates, start the process now so you can have them by driving season. It will take at least 60 days to get custom plates.

later,
Curt

apickle

Post by apickle » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:23 pm

Thanks for the reminder! I've got the paperwork, just trying to pick a custom plate now :)
1992 3000GT VR4 || 2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT || 2003 Suzuki SV650s

cgstealth

Post by cgstealth » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:01 pm

I'm glad I got mine.... No more front plate.... I have yet to have a problem as far as driving it goes (in the summer).
Don't have to pay for tabs anymore!

niterydr

Post by niterydr » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:56 pm

Very tempting... Only worry is that I Daily drive mine in the summer and don't want to get harrassed.
-Josh
-(blue) 93 rt/tt --sold -720awhp, 11'[email protected]
-(white) 92 rt/tt --SOLD
https://www.facebook.com/CompleteTuningSolutions
-(Green) 03 Kawasaki ZX6RR

guido1205us

Post by guido1205us » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:47 am

My friend has a red 91 nsx with way illegal tint. No front plates and no problems so far.

Paper work is in folder and ready to go for the Stealth but I'm still awaiting a response from Mitsubishi - I actually may have to print out the letter and snail mail it.....those chumps.
The Toys

92RTTT

Post by 92RTTT » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:31 am

Do you have the address as to where you sent your request for production numbers on specific models/years? I'd like to get collector plates on my 94TT.

BluDevl
Arm Hair Eater

Post by BluDevl » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:07 am

You wont be able to on the 94.... too many produced.
-Steve (Osceola Finalist)
'92 Dodge Stealth R/T Turbo 1 of 327~ HKS Intake, DNP Y-Pipe, Dejon Pre-turbo intake, Stillen 3" DP, GReddy PRofec B-spec II EBC, Short Throw Shifter, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, Power Slot Rotors, Ultimate Performance Strut Tower Bar, TR Motorsports C2 Wheels, and tons of polished goodies!
2016 Mitsubishi Outlander SEL
Check out http://www.Advanceautoparts.com

curt_gendron
Administrator

Post by curt_gendron » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:30 pm

Based on Joe's numbers that I linked to earlier in the thread, 93 and 94 Stealth R/T TTs and 93,94,95 VR4s have too many to be eligible. Also 95 VR4 Spyders are not eligible because of production numbers (barely). But pretty much all other VR4s and TTs should be eligible for collector plates in Minnesota right now.