My quest to make my 3/Ses "collector" cars

General car discussion and other related topics of interest for MN 3/S members.
92RTTT

Re: My quest to make my 3/Ses "collector" cars

Post by 92RTTT » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:02 pm

damn... Guess I have to wait a few more years lol

stealththai

Post by stealththai » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:52 pm

How much does it cost to get collector plates???

curt_gendron
Administrator

Post by curt_gendron » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:04 pm

stealththai wrote:How much does it cost to get collector plates???
I think its around $45 for regular collector plates. Its a little cheaper if you only get one plate. I got two plates. If you want custom collector plates, it is another $100 on top of that.

Minnesota 3/S Facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home ... 02602&ap=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

curt_gendron
Administrator

Post by curt_gendron » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:31 pm

I know Andy has his collector plates in hand. I know of a couple other people who are working on them. How about the rest of you that are eligible?? I want to have a photo shoot this Spring with all the ones with collector plates. It would be very cool.

later,
Curt

Minnesota 3/S Facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home ... 02602&ap=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

apickle

Post by apickle » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:18 pm

And remember, you're only required to display one plate on a collector-class. No more front plate! My wait was around 4 weeks from filing the papers to receiving my plates, so if you want them by April you should file in the next week or so.

$135 if you're getting personalized plates, $45-ish if you just want randomized collector. If you already have custom plates, they'll transfer it to the collector plate.
1992 3000GT VR4 || 2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT || 2003 Suzuki SV650s

guido1205us

Post by guido1205us » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:20 pm

Everything in hand for the 96 - just need to go to the dmv and get it done.

As for the 97, Mitsubishi is being real asshats about not returning my request(s).
The Toys

bluejediz

Post by bluejediz » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:45 pm

Went to the DMV today to get plates for the stealth. I guess you have to own the vehicle for one year before your allowed to apply for collector plates. So ill have to wait for now.
-1995 Dodge Stealth RT/TT Blue Pearl
Full ATR exhaust, Gutted Precats, Blitz DSBC, PreTurbo Hard Pipes.

-1991 Dodge Stealth RT/TT - SOLD

curt_gendron
Administrator

Post by curt_gendron » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:30 pm

bluejediz wrote:Went to the DMV today to get plates for the stealth. I guess you have to own the vehicle for one year before your allowed to apply for collector plates. So ill have to wait for now.

I don't remember reading that. You should never take what the DMV says for face value. Dig through the statue that I linked earlier in this thread and read it. If it doesn't say anything about owning for a year, then fight them.

bluejediz

Post by bluejediz » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:50 pm

Ive read through it and found nothing about that. So I could probably fight it.

She made it sound like they are really strict about how much and why you drive it. According to her the law states "parades and shows only" When I showed her it said "may not be used for daily transportation needs" which means a sunday cruise would be just fine. Her reply was "Well its a fine line, but its a $700 fine if the officer decides your reason for driving the vehicle is injust."

So I decided that id wait for now and see how much I actually drive it this year. Kinda sucks cuz I was excited to have them but oh well.

apickle

Post by apickle » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:20 pm

There's a lot of leeway in that. And I'm sure if the officer gave you a ticket "just because", it's a pretty easy win in court. Plus, as Curt says, take whatever the counter person at the DMV says with a grain of salt. The ladies at the license & registration center here didn't seem to think I would have any issues with the use I described to them (club events, shows, and special occasions).

I don't see anything about having to wait a year, either. I thought the lady at the L&R center did ask me how long I'd owned the car, but I don't see anything "official" on any of the paperwork or statutes for that. Expired tabs don't matter either, mine expired in October, and she just wrote me a temp tag for 60 days. Just had to pay the collector plate and personalized plate fees.
1992 3000GT VR4 || 2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT || 2003 Suzuki SV650s

curt_gendron
Administrator

Post by curt_gendron » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:17 pm

Zak, you will be just fine getting the collector plates. If you find a different DMV worker you will most likely have a better experience. The statute spells out the law. What the DMV worker tells you doesn't mean squat.

John Basol, Ryan, and myself are all going to have collector plates on our 95 Stealths soon. You are just throwing money out the window if you don't daily drive your car and you have regular plates.

bluejediz

Post by bluejediz » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:09 am

Very good point guys, one setback though. I went ahead and ordered personalized plates while I was there...will I have to wait til those arrive? Or do you think I could order the collectors before?

curt_gendron
Administrator

Post by curt_gendron » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:20 am

The paperwork at the DMV is so damn slow, it is probably still sitting on some desk. Go back to the same DMV and I'm sure they can change it.

bluejediz

Post by bluejediz » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:44 pm

Alrighty, I called a different DMV and emailed the department in general. This is the answer I got from both of them:

"The issue may be with paying sales tax. If a vehicle that’s more than 20 years old is purchased, normally the sales tax is $10.00 (if the purchase price and fair market value of the vehicle are both under $3,000), however, if you choose to put it into the collector class, the sales tax would be $90.00 (per state law). If you put passenger plates on it for 1 year and pay the $10.00 sales tax…then you can later put collector plates on it without having to pay the extra $80.00 in sales tax. You must also have another vehicle in your name that’s registered in the passenger class in order to qualify for collector plates."

So since my tabs are only $37 ill wait til september and apply then. :-?

guido1205us

Post by guido1205us » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:55 pm

stealththai wrote:How much does it cost to get collector plates???
Went last Friday - $50.

Took almost 2 hours in Richfield - 45mins in line and 75 for the ladies squawking amongst themselves. They were thorough, but cool.
The Toys