Busted tranny. Need advice.

General car discussion and other related topics of interest for MN 3/S members.
long0281

Busted tranny. Need advice.

Post by long0281 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:58 pm

Hey guys,

I brought my car in for an oil change (Tires Plus), and they told me my tranny is leaking. They said the gaskets are no longer in production and that the tranny needs to be machined in 2 spots. They quoted me at $1100 labor to pull it, and another $600 to have it machined at Dynotech.

Are there any other options (shops, etc) I should explore before giving them the green light? Anyone deal with Dynotech before?

Thanks,

Matt

curt_gendron
Administrator

Re: Busted tranny. Need advice.

Post by curt_gendron » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:09 pm

Woah, never base any life decisions on what Tires Plus tells you. The case half seals on the Getrag tranny leak for a lot of people. Heck, the outer case seal on my Stealth has been leaking for 12 years. LOL. If your looking to get it fixed, I'd find a better place then where ever Tires Plus tells you to go.

There might even be some people in the club willing to do it.

later,
Curt

Minnesota 3/S Facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home ... 02602&ap=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

chevelle3454

Post by chevelle3454 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:23 pm

do not let tires plus touch your trains. Just top off the fluid every once in a while till you feel like tackling it.
Last edited by chevelle3454 on Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

long0281

Post by long0281 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:01 pm

Thanks, guys; glad I asked.

So Curt, this isn't a "must do" repair? I'm content to live with it for the time being. Just want to be sure it won't lead to further complications down the road. The car shifts just fine.

curt_gendron
Administrator

Post by curt_gendron » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:25 pm

I'd fill up the tranny and then keep and eye on it. Check it every week or so and then every few weeks if the leak seems small enough. I try and monitor where my Stealth sits in the garage. I know my leak is pretty small and not a big deal. I use an L shaped paper clip as my dipstick to see if the oil level has dropped.

Here is a page on how to do it: http://www.stealth316.com/2-awddrainfill.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Although if you don't have a fluid pump, I've used the overflow hose on the coolant bottle and stuck that in the fill hole before and stick a funnel on the other side of it.

later,
Curt

Minnesota 3/S Facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home ... 02602&ap=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sting1180

Post by sting1180 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:22 pm

If you decide you want to fix it, I would want to know which part of the case halfs is leaking. If it's the bell housing one I would pull your tranny out and pull the bell housing, seal it and put it all back together for $700, you supply the trans fluid and the RTV to see the case halfs. If its the mid-case to the end case figure $750 plus you provide the trans fluid and RTV. You would need to bring your car up to my garage in St. Cloud though. Also keep in mind after this is all done you will need to get an alignment done.
1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 Iridecent Danube Blue, Twin 19T turbos, PTE 680cc injectors, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Pre-cat eliminators, IPS 3" Down pipe, IPS Sleeper E cutout, polished intake, Dejon Tool FMIC, Dejon Tool Blow-thru intake pipes, AEM stand-alone engine management system, AEM gauges, Tru-boost controller, Angel eyes mod, robo headlight mod, 2 rockford P2D's powered by P6002 bridged in series with 6 farad cap, 19" Bazo B52 wrapped in General Exclaim's.

Find used parts at PAM's Auto, Inc IM me at [email protected] or call me toll free direct at 855-363-9203. Also check out our website at http://www.pamsauto.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

mjannusch

Post by mjannusch » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:15 pm

Ugh, don't use RTV to seal the cases. Use anaerobic sealant instead. If some of the RTV squeezes out into the inside of the case (and it will), it tends to get broken off and find its way into the oil passages in the shafts and synchros. The anaerobic sealant is what Mitsubishi used to seal it from the factory, and if it breaks off it just crumbles and won't block oil passages.

Primer spray:
http://www.permatex.com/component/virtu ... ics-detail" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regular anaerobic sealant (to 300F)
http://www.permatex.com/products/produc ... ant-detail" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or...

High-temp anaerobic sealant (to 400F)
http://www.permatex.com/products/produc ... ant-detail" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, the axle seals or output shaft seals can develop leaks and are available from Mitsubishi or some other places. First thing is to figure out where it is leaking from.

Tires Plus - jeez... Yeah, run away from any mechanical advice they give you. Machine down the cases? So that the bearing preload is way too tight? Yeah, great idea there.
-Matt
'18 Camaro SS Convertible
'15 Corvette Stingray Z51 ([email protected] - 100% stock)
'95 3000GT Spyder VR4 ([email protected] - 540 awhp)

chevelle3454

Post by chevelle3454 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:10 pm

I'm confused now is it your half shaft seals leaking or the case?

sting1180

Post by sting1180 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:31 pm

Good question Ryan, I assumed it was the case halfs because I've been able to get the half shafts seals no problem, got them as recently as a month ago, so I doubt those are out of production.
1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 Iridecent Danube Blue, Twin 19T turbos, PTE 680cc injectors, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Pre-cat eliminators, IPS 3" Down pipe, IPS Sleeper E cutout, polished intake, Dejon Tool FMIC, Dejon Tool Blow-thru intake pipes, AEM stand-alone engine management system, AEM gauges, Tru-boost controller, Angel eyes mod, robo headlight mod, 2 rockford P2D's powered by P6002 bridged in series with 6 farad cap, 19" Bazo B52 wrapped in General Exclaim's.

Find used parts at PAM's Auto, Inc IM me at [email protected] or call me toll free direct at 855-363-9203. Also check out our website at http://www.pamsauto.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

niterydr

Post by niterydr » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:55 pm

All the seals are still available in the transmissions, as noted get a second opinion.

In looking at Mike's rates, I need to raise mine it appears!!
-Josh
-(blue) 93 rt/tt --sold -720awhp, 11'[email protected]
-(white) 92 rt/tt --SOLD
https://www.facebook.com/CompleteTuningSolutions
-(Green) 03 Kawasaki ZX6RR

long0281

Post by long0281 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:38 pm

Thanks for the replies- I really appreciate it.

I think I'll change the gear oil and monitor for the time being. Flip- if I do decide to pull the tranny, I'll definitely reach out.

Matt

ruiz0052

Post by ruiz0052 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:06 pm

i know this post is a while back however just letting you know that i would check out Le's auto tech in St. Paul. I believe they pulled out my transmission and reinstalled when my clutch shattered for around 5 or 600. Very fair and honest people and the only place i bring my stealth to.

shepo1

Post by shepo1 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:08 pm

M & M automotive in Maple Grove MN.. Great guys.. Not specifically Mits techs.. but I work in the suite next to them and know them well. ( I'm always over there sniping tools LOL) They now there stuff, are fair, take pride in what they do, and have been a great source of info for me on all my automotive needs as well as taking care of my cars.
If you use them.. tell them Steve from Fanuc sent you.