Upper Midwest Gathering discussion

General car discussion and other related topics of interest for MN 3/S members.
curt_gendron
Administrator

Upper Midwest Gathering discussion

Post by curt_gendron » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:24 pm

I've already had four people ask me about the UMG this year. If its happening and when.

I do want to have it again this year, but I was pretty unhappy with the hotel prices last year. I did dig around for other hotels last year, but I didn't find any hotels that I really liked for a good price. The other option would be to move the UMG to a different weekend. We have always had it during Automotion which is the weekend before Memorial day weekend. Wisconsin Dells has gotten pretty busy that weekend over the years. And I think that is why many of the hotels have jacked up their rates. Its almost impossible to drive through town on Saturday afternoon because of all the cars. Its great seeing all the muscle and sports cars running around, but the traffic it has caused is the downside.

Another option would be to move the UMG to the weekend after Memorial Day (May 29-31). Baker's hotel rates are way cheaper. You'd save $100 for the two nights. Baker's would not fill up so even last minute attendees could get a room. The traffic in town would be way more manageable. And of course the downside is there would be no Automotion show and all of the fun cars to see around town. So it would be a trade off. I'll attach a picture of the regular prices at Baker's for the two weekends in question. We should be able to snag a little better price then what is listed.

I was hoping to get some opinions from everyone. Post up your thoughts.

Thanks,
Curt
Attachments
hotel.jpg
hotel.jpg (109.86 KiB) Viewed 1699 times

Minnesota 3/S Facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home ... 02602&ap=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BluDevl
Arm Hair Eater

Re: Upper Midwest Gathering discussion

Post by BluDevl » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:03 pm

Hey Curt,

This is a tough one. Personally, I will be trying to attend no matter what weekend the event is on. I feel as though this will hold true for many of the enthusiasts that attend on a yearly basis as well.

As one of the few people who continues to cruise the strip and enjoy the car watching aspect of the weekend I would enjoy keeping it on the Automotion weekend. I also am able to afford the hotel stay, so the more expensive hotel does not bother me as much. I do not believe the attendance will grow because of how expensive this weekend can be and the lack of members that can afford the platform.

On the other side, the majority of people just stay at the hotel and drink, so there really is not a need to go cruising. The traffic in the dells is typically a pain in the butt getting to and from events, the cruise routes sometimes have traffic and people get lost, the service at restaurants is generally slower and the weather is sometimes hit or miss. I have also heard from others that attend the event that the rooms are getting expensive for what you get, which I agree with. So moving it two weekends out would be nice.

Your two options in my mind are these:

1. Keep it the same weekend for tradition and atmosphere of the Dells.
2. Change the weekend for ease of traffic, planning, less expensive rates and possibility to grow the event because it is easier to afford.
-Steve (Osceola Finalist)
'92 Dodge Stealth R/T Turbo 1 of 327~ HKS Intake, DNP Y-Pipe, Dejon Pre-turbo intake, Stillen 3" DP, GReddy PRofec B-spec II EBC, Short Throw Shifter, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, Power Slot Rotors, Ultimate Performance Strut Tower Bar, TR Motorsports C2 Wheels, and tons of polished goodies!
2016 Mitsubishi Outlander SEL
Check out http://www.Advanceautoparts.com

curt_gendron
Administrator

Post by curt_gendron » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:15 pm

Yeah, I agree. Those are pretty much the exact pros and cons that I see with the two choices.

The people that have posted on Facebook have leaned a lot towards keeping it on Automotion weekend. If that is what most people want, that is probably what we'll do. I'm hoping to get a little more feedback from people before I decide.

later,
Curt

Minnesota 3/S Facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home ... 02602&ap=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

curt_gendron
Administrator

Post by curt_gendron » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:32 pm

I had a chance to talk to Baker's about this year's UMG. If we do it on Automotion weekend (May 15-17) We could get the double queen rooms from $115 non-lakeside and $125 lakeside. If you stay on a Thursday or Sunday night, those nights would be $68/$78.

If we choose to move it to the weekend after Memorial Day (May 29-31) the rate would be $83 non-lake/$93 lake (for Friday and Saturday) and then that same $68/$78 for a Thursday or Sunday night.

They do charge a $5 a night "resort fee" but I included that price in all the quotes above.

So regardless how many nights you stay the price difference between the two weekends would be $64 plus what ever extra taxes they might add. I'm guessing most of you will still want to do the Automotion weekend. Personally, I kind of want to do the later weekend, to take advantage of the warmer weather and things like waterparks and the water ski show being open. But tradition and all the cool cars in town make a compelling argument too.

Any other thoughts??

Krazy_Town

Post by Krazy_Town » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:40 am

The lower hotel rates are very appealing, but the Automotion does add more variety and excitement as well as other car show options for friends of the group who tag along and don't own a 3/S. I have only been to this event once and hung out at the resort most of the time, but it was fun seeing all the other vehicle enthusiasts. Gasoline prices will probably go up by then, but if they can stay round $2.50 a gallon for premium, then paying more for the hotel room wouldn't be so bad for me. For now, I say keep it on the Automotion weekend since this is what has usually been done in the past. It will also give people time to think about it for next year, that it might be moved back a weekend or two.
-Collin
1992 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 | 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT | 2010 Chevrolet Malibu |

StevenGalewski

Post by StevenGalewski » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:36 am

My preference would be to move it to the later weekend. I don't really care about the rate difference, but I'd really appreciate losing the Automation traffic jam.There are plenty of other things to enjoy at the Dells and crawling around at 5 mph or less isn't worth another car show for me.

curt_gendron
Administrator

Post by curt_gendron » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:06 pm

StevenGalewski wrote:My preference would be to move it to the later weekend. I don't really care about the rate difference, but I'd really appreciate losing the Automation traffic jam.There are plenty of other things to enjoy at the Dells and crawling around at 5 mph or less isn't worth another car show for me.
I totally agree with your points. But we are in the minority. Virtually everyone else prefers Automotion weekend. In the events forum there is a thread with the 2015 UMG details. It will be Automotion weekend. We will utilize as many of the back roads as we can during the bad traffic times.

later,
Curt