Question about 60k service...

General car discussion and other related topics of interest for MN 3/S members.
long0281

Question about 60k service...

Post by long0281 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:46 pm

Hey guys,

I'm about to hit 60k, and I have a question about the 60k maintenance...

I bought the car 5 year ago (March 2010) with 25k miles on it, and had the timing belt replaced as a precautionary measure. Then, in November 2011, I had the water pump replaced (42k miles at the time).

Should I replace these again at 60k, since it's been several years, or should I hold off until I hit 85k?

Thanks,

Matt

mjannusch

Re: Question about 60k service...

Post by mjannusch » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:08 am

Tensioner and water pump are the things that give the most problems if you go over on the 60k, and you've done both of those (assuming the tensioner was done with the timing belt). I'd wait until 85k and then do the timing belt, tensioner, and timing belt pulleys at that time.
-Matt
'18 Camaro SS Convertible
'15 Corvette Stingray Z51 ([email protected] - 100% stock)
'95 3000GT Spyder VR4 ([email protected] - 540 awhp)

curt_gendron
Administrator

Post by curt_gendron » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:27 pm

I agree. Wait until 85k if you've done the timing belt and tensioner. Were any of the pulleys or accessory belts done during the first 60k? Not the end of the world if they haven't. But you should keep track.

Minnesota 3/S Facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home ... 02602&ap=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

long0281

Post by long0281 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:00 pm

Thanks for the replies. I just called Mitsubishi- the tensioner and pulleys were inspected, but not replaced. (I did have my alternator belt replaced recently.)

So you think the timing belt and water pump are good for another 20-25k miles? (It might be another 3-4 yrs..) Should I at least change my spark plugs, wires, etc.? There are a ton of recommended parts/services, and I want to make sure I'm not cutting any corners.

Somewhat unrelated... I'm starting to get lifter tick. Are the '99 lifters easy to install, or should I wait to have them done until I do the timing belt, etc.?

mjannusch

Post by mjannusch » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:12 pm

long0281 wrote:Thanks for the replies. I just called Mitsubishi- the tensioner and pulleys were inspected, but not replaced. (I did have my alternator belt replaced recently.)

So you think the timing belt and water pump are good for another 20-25k miles? (It might be another 3-4 yrs..) Should I at least change my spark plugs, wires, etc.? There are a ton of recommended parts/services, and I want to make sure I'm not cutting any corners.
Timing belt and water pump are good for at least 60k on new parts. You shouldn't have to worry about those for a good long time. Since they didn't replace the tensioner, I'd maybe take the front cam cover off every 6 months or so (once you get to 60,000 on the car) and make sure there isn't loose belt on that side between the front exhaust cam sprocket and the tensioner pulley. As long as the tensioner is taking up the slack there, shouldn't be a problem.
Somewhat unrelated... I'm starting to get lifter tick. Are the '99 lifters easy to install, or should I wait to have them done until I do the timing belt, etc.?
Seafoam can help get gunk out of the lifters so they pump up correctly again. May work, may not. Cheap to find out. Just put some in a bit before your next oil change and let it run through for a bit and then change the oil.

Otherwise, replacing the lifters isn't too bad if you have the right tool for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bev32mNsOmc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The rear head might be a little tricky to get at, but it should work. I've done mine with the motor out of the car, but I know Oskar did his with it in using the same tool.
-Matt
'18 Camaro SS Convertible
'15 Corvette Stingray Z51 ([email protected] - 100% stock)
'95 3000GT Spyder VR4 ([email protected] - 540 awhp)