Anyone willing to help me install a manual boost controller?

General car discussion and other related topics of interest for MN 3/S members.
long0281

Anyone willing to help me install a manual boost controller?

Post by long0281 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:45 pm

I have an AEM Tru Boost installed, but I want to swap it out for a MBC (the solenoid started ticking, and I like the simplicity of a MBC.) Planning to keep the Tru Boost as a gauge only.

I spent a few hours last night reading installation guides and looking at vacuum line diagrams. Everything makes sense to me, but my tube configuration doesn't quite match what I would expect to see on a car with a boost controller installed. For example, it looks like the inlet is connected to the throttle body, not the Y-pipe..

Anyway, was wondering if there's anyone local who'd be willing to help me with the install sometime next weekend. I thought about bringing it to RS Motors, but I really want to learn by doing.

Note: I had my 60k maintenance done a few weeks ago, and I've been getting crazy boost spikes ever since, even with the solenoid turned off. I'm thinking they may have disconnected the solenoid and re-attached it incorrectly by mistake. Hoping the MBC install does the trick.

Matt

mjannusch

Re: Anyone willing to help me install a manual boost control

Post by mjannusch » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:28 pm

Which MBC are you going to use?
-Matt
'18 Camaro SS Convertible
'15 Corvette Stingray Z51 ([email protected] - 100% stock)
'95 3000GT Spyder VR4 ([email protected] - 540 awhp)

long0281

Post by long0281 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:38 pm

Just ordered this one. Inexpensive; positive reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002KAXO7Y/re ... dvb1HXG08Z" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mjannusch

Post by mjannusch » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:59 pm

Okay, so that's a restriction-type boost controller. All you need to do is attach the inlet side of the BC to the fitting on the elbow of the Y-pipe, then connect the outlet side to the wastegates of the turbos. If there's anything else in there, it needs to be eliminated or plugged. Stock there's a line going from the boost control solenoid to the inlet tube of the rear turbo, which isn't needed with a setup like this. The stock boost control solenoid should be completely eliminated.
-Matt

long0281

Post by long0281 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:34 pm

Well that doesn't sound too bad. I'll give it a try.

Thanks!
:beer:

curt_gendron
Administrator

Post by curt_gendron » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:29 pm

Here is a simple diagram I found on 3SI: http://www.3si.org/forum/attachments/f3 ... ll-mbc.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Boost controllers are pretty simple. Personally I'd use the AEM true boost before a manual one though.

Minnesota 3/S Facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home ... 02602&ap=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

curt_gendron
Administrator

Post by curt_gendron » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:53 pm

This pic might make more sense for a manual boost controller: http://www.cellshark.com/stealth/vac_setup.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you are seeing boost spikes, that probably means your actuators are not seeing any boost, which means they won't close and therefore your turbos keep making boost. Bottom line is a vacuum line is probably not hooked up or pinched.

Minnesota 3/S Facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home ... 02602&ap=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

long0281

Post by long0281 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:24 pm

Thanks, Curt. The schematics are helpful- and they seem pretty straightforward.

Here's what I'm struggling with... My Y-pipe looks like it's connected to the "H" connector, not the boost controller inlet (as is the stock boost solenoid..)

I may just leave it alone, ha. I can live with the ticking. And it turns the boost spikes were a result of a loose connection; car runs fine now.

I'm still really curious how this setup works...

Last edited by long0281 on Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

mjannusch

Post by mjannusch » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:03 pm

I would disconnect the "H" connector from the Y-pipe, remove the stock solenoid, remove any extra hoses from the stock solenoid and H-connector. There may be a port to plug at the rear turbo inlet for one of the hoses from the stock solenoid.

Then move the "IN" on the Tru-Boost solenoid to the Y-pipe hose. Connect the hose to the gauge to the Tee that goes to the FPR instead.

You don't want the Tru-boost solenoid on the same line as your FPR or boost gauge because the solenoid is going to be cycling air out of those lines, causing the FPR and boost gauge to see lower PSI at times. You also want to keep the hoses as short as possible in all this so that any change in pressure is seen through the hoses as quickly as possible. It does take some small amount of time to "fill" the hoses with pressure changes - you want all of this to react as quickly as possible to change.
-Matt

long0281

Post by long0281 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:10 am

Cool. I'll give this a try. Thanks

long0281

Post by long0281 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:04 pm

Thanks for the tips. I re-arranged the boost controller and gauge, and it actually helped reduce the boost spikes/fluctuations I was seeing.

There's just one thing that I can't seem to figure out, and it's killing me...

I bypassed the H connector (I have a separate T connector running from the boost controller to the 2 wastegates); however, it's still connected by single hose to a mystery location, somewhere behind the EGR valve, next to the hose that runs to the top of the EGR solenoid (see pics below).

I've spent hours studying the vacuum line diagrams and looking under the hood, but I cannot seem to figure out what this hose it connected to. I'm thinking it can be removed and capped off, but I'd like to know what purpose it serves.

Any ideas?

Last edited by long0281 on Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

mjannusch

Post by mjannusch » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:54 pm

That line should go into a plastic nipple that protrudes from the intake tube on the rear turbo. It is for recirculating the vented wastegate air back into the intake since it has been measured by the MAF. It can be plugged.
-Matt
'15 Corvette Stingray Z51 ([email protected]68 - 100% stock)

long0281

Post by long0281 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:52 pm

Ok.. Finally got a chance to pop the hood again...

When you refer to the nipple on the rear intake tube, are you referring to the rubber, pre-turbo intake pipe? Because that one is connected to the top of the stock boost solenoid.

I found it impossible to remove the hose completely- even with the battery, washer fluid tank, and Y-pipe removed- so I decided to cut the hose, attach a straight connector and a vacuum cap, and call it a day. Hopefully it does the trick.