Alignment 92 Stealth AWD AWS

General car discussion and other related topics of interest for MN 3/S members.
Domo

Alignment 92 Stealth AWD AWS

Post by Domo » Wed May 11, 2016 6:41 pm

Hey Guys,

Been a long time since I've been on here. I've been getting all the gathering notifications and I plan on making it down one of these years but I seem to have a problem with my car every year. I usually run it all summer, park it, and then do the work during spring time which is when the gathering is.

I'm having an alignment issue with the rear wheels. I recently replaced all of my shocks, not the coils though, and I decided to go get the car aligned afterwards because it pulls to the left and the rear tires were severely worn/chopped on the inside (2 year old tires) and should do that anyways. I replaced with the KYB alternative shock suggested by 3SX.

Basically the shop is telling me the tow is maxed on the car and it is not in spec causing them to not be able to align the front. I made sure that they disconnected the rear tie rod ends before trying to adjust them. Have you guys had problems with or is the shop just not adjusting correctly. The car is stock height, maybe the springs are weak and it's sitting lower?

Talked to 3SX and they said the shop should be able to adjust the car to within spec but these cars do have a rear tow issues. They suggested buying their adjustable control arm, which to me seems like a great idea.

Thanks for your inputs,

Domo

curt_gendron
Administrator

Re: Alignment 92 Stealth AWD AWS

Post by curt_gendron » Wed May 11, 2016 6:57 pm

The 3SX adjustable control arms are a good idea, but a good shop should be able to get the car within specs without them at stock ride height. I've also noticed over the years that alignment shops seem to struggle with our cars. So your problem could be the shop.

later,
Curt

Minnesota 3/S Facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home ... 02602&ap=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Domo

Re: Alignment 92 Stealth AWD AWS

Post by Domo » Wed May 11, 2016 9:57 pm

I meant to say the "Camber" is maxed.

See I was thinking a shop should be able to do it also... supposedly they are the best shop in Hibbing. I miss living next to Duluth!

That's why I was wondering if there is something else you have to do besides just taking off the tie rod ends to align it. If I had an alignment machine I'd do it myself, but I don't.

They actually tried twice to align it. First time didn't remove the tierods. Second time they did and then they charged me $63 to tell me they still couldn't get it into spec.

3SX said something could be bent also, but I doubt that.

Domo