red light cameras....SHUT OFF!!

Talk about topics not relating to cars.
Jon M

red light cameras....SHUT OFF!!

Post by Jon M » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:04 am

well, the red light cameras got shut off. now everyone that hated them because they run red lights can breath easy. no cop no stop!! j/k drive at your own risk. good luck!! jon

Silvertooth

Post by Silvertooth » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:07 am

Haha yeah I just saw that on the news no more than one minute ago. [email protected]#$ing hilarious.

curt_gendron
Administrator

Post by curt_gendron » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:27 pm

I'm glad the cameras are off. Think of how easy it would be if you just bought a car from someone and hadn't transferred the title yet. You could go blasting through all the red lights you want. The camera cop will send the tickets to the old owner because technically the car is in there name still. Or if someone borrows you car for some reason. Same thing.

Issuing moving violation tickets based on a license plate is a terrible idea.

later,
Curt

Minnesota 3/S Facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home ... 02602&ap=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oskar

Post by Oskar » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:44 pm

What prompted the decision to stop this practice?

Oskar

CDeutsch

Post by CDeutsch » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:50 pm

Oskar wrote:What prompted the decision to stop this practice?

Oskar
A judge ruled it was illegal to ticket owners without proof they were driving the car.

I laughed my ass of when they interviewd one of the project directors this morning and he's crying about this as a "safety issue". This is a revenue generator first, safety second. There are other ways to reduce accidents at lights (like extending the duration of the yellow) that wouldn't invole a huge investment in new infastructure.

I'm not for running red lights by any means, but you all know that once the red light cameras are a "success" that speed cameras are next.

Shame on MN for being so damn greedy.
Christopher
08 997 TT

Oskar

Post by Oskar » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:57 pm

Interesting - This is good news!

This should hold off the installation of speed cameras for quite some time.

Oskar

CDeutsch

Post by CDeutsch » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:17 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if they change the law to allow the cameras to go back on. They seem to get away with it in other states and countries, so I'm sure MN will just rewrite the law to keep the cash flowing in (I'm mean to keep us "safe").
Christopher
08 997 TT

ominousone

Post by ominousone » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:37 am

Chris is prolly right, they will try to taylor the laws to make these things legal. However, there have been a number of cities that took them our after finding that rear collisions increased. Very bad if your on a M/C that stops quicker than a car!
The cops were claiming that there were 16% fewer crashes at these intersections. I say bull shit, but I said that about the MoA gift cards. Law enforcement also stated some crap about now they won't be able to "focus" on high crime areas. So, lessee, 16% fewer crashes at these "revenue (somewhere around $700,000.00) lights", should mean that they were able to take a bigger bite out of crime.. But crime is said to be up 31% in Mpls in the last couple years. Thanks in part to the police chief (that may be going to San Antonio).
This info was on the number 9 last night and today.
I don't endorse running red lights. As some of you know, my sister got killed by a kid, driving for a popular parts running company, that ran a red light. But is was not anything like trying to make a yellow before it turns red, he went around a couple cars through the left turn lane, just in time center punch her.
It'll be interesting to see what happens from here. I would recommend writing the city council and let them know your feelings.
Later,
Bill
1994 Black TT. Eibach springs, KYB struts, TEC front strut bar, Borla cat-back, Cianci Viper scoop hood. 17 x 9.5 5Zigens custom powder coated by Precision Wheel in Hopkins, MN. 13gs and RC 550 help support up to 18 lb. boost. And plenty more toys and trinkets. Thanks, to M-Spec for work well done.
New profession=Sales Consultant at Inver Grove Hyundai.

PopTart

Post by PopTart » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:05 pm

Good it's about time they relized this. I'm glad to see we have at least one official, that know what he is talking about, siting in office.
95 3000 GT SL -- Fully remaned engine with Stage one SPEC clutch, 17 inch rims wraped in Kumho rubber, K&N Drop in Filter, 12 inch MTX Subwoofer with 800 watt Pioneer amp custom box and custom trunk interior.

For breakfast I eat Pop Tarts, my car eats civics.

If it aint broke, don't fix it. If it breaks it needed to be after market any way.

M-Spec

Post by M-Spec » Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:00 pm

I saw this coming the day they put them up BEHIND the cars.

In Az they are in front and take a pic of the driver and the plate.

If you want to fight it you have to also not resemble the smiling face in the picture

veerfour05

Post by veerfour05 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:06 pm

that's interesting considering that AZ doesn't have a front plate law, and where's the zombie emoticon because that post deserves one :mrgreen:
UMG 2010 breakdown champion!!!

M-Spec

Post by M-Spec » Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:00 pm

Dont know what your trying to say but i have first hand experience. I thought...."theres no way they got a clear shot of my face".......wasted 2 hours of my day and had to pay the fine anyway.......lol i was even wearing the same shirt :lol:

veerfour05

Post by veerfour05 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:25 am

zombie emoticon needs to be used when someone brings a thread back from the dead, sucks that you had to pay the fine tho
UMG 2010 breakdown champion!!!