Radar/Laser Detector...Worth buying?

Talk about topics not relating to cars.
stealth91RT

Radar/Laser Detector...Worth buying?

Post by stealth91RT » Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:20 pm

Ever since i bought my stealth, i thought it would be a nice touch having a good cordless fuzz buster... you know, just in case i feel like going 5-10 over haha. Anyways, i finally have some extra cash, and was wondering if they're really worth the price.. opinions?

Turbo_StealthRT

Post by Turbo_StealthRT » Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:00 pm

The cordless ones do not work as well as the corded ones. It is probably due to trying to conserve battery power. There have been a few tests that have documented this.

Additionally, it is illegal to have anything attached to the windshield in Minnesota. Another fantastic Minnesota law! This means no radar dectectors, GPS systems, notepads, etc.
Brad
92&93 RT TT

curt_gendron
Administrator

Post by curt_gendron » Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:55 pm

Turbo_StealthRT wrote:The cordless ones do not work as well as the corded ones. It is probably due to trying to conserve battery power. There have been a few tests that have documented this.

Additionally, it is illegal to have anything attached to the windshield in Minnesota. Another fantastic Minnesota law! This means no radar dectectors, GPS systems, notepads, etc.
Actually I think they had to repeal that law. The MNpass system for the HOV lane has to use a device that attaches to the windshield for the machines to read them. The state can't give out devices to attach to windshields that are illegal. ;)

later,
Curt

Minnesota 3/S Facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home ... 02602&ap=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

veerfour05

Post by veerfour05 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:03 pm

and they won't say anything about it anyways, get a Beltronics Vector 995
UMG 2010 breakdown champion!!!

Turbo_StealthRT

Post by Turbo_StealthRT » Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:21 am

curt_gendron wrote: Actually I think they had to repeal that law. The MNpass system for the HOV lane has to use a device that attaches to the windshield for the machines to read them. The state can't give out devices to attach to windshields that are illegal. ;)
Really? I hope they did. I was talking to a guy (mid 50's with grey hair) at the airport a couple of weeks ago and he said he got a ticket on I-35 just south of the cities for having a radar detector on his windshield. So if the law really was repealed, then he was either lying or got screwed by a state trooper.

I'll see if I can look into it more. I have seen some random sites that list the MN law, but haven't looked into the actual MN state code.

EDIT: I found the actual code in the MN state law. It looks like they updated the law but didn't repeal it in 2005:

From "Minnesota Statutes 2005, 169.71":

"169.71 Windshield.

Subdivision 1. Prohibitions generally; exceptions.
(a) A person shall not drive or operate any motor vehicle with:

(1) a windshield cracked or discolored to an extent to limit or obstruct proper vision;

(2) any objects suspended between the driver and the windshield, other than sun visors and rearview mirrors and electronic toll collection devices;

..."

Here is the link: http://ros.leg.mn/bin/getpub.php?pubtyp ... &image.y=6
Brad
92&93 RT TT

curt_gendron
Administrator

Post by curt_gendron » Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:52 am

It figures that the law makers revised the law. I think it was temporarily suspended until they could add that new verbage. :roll:

Minnesota 3/S Facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home ... 02602&ap=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jon M

Post by Jon M » Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:18 am

bottom line is, i've been pulled over SEVERAL times for various reasons with the radar detector right up there on the windshiled and haven't gotten a ticket for having it. the cop/trooper even commented on how it didn't help me and i didn't get a ticket for having it.

it has, however, saved my ass many-a-time.

so, get one. even the cheapest ones do the trick. i HIGHLY doubt you'll regret it.

mjannusch

Post by mjannusch » Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:46 pm

Valentine One - the last radar/laser detector you will ever have to buy.

The one I bought in 1993 still works totally awesome. Has even saved me from a few laser tickets as it detected the cop beaming cars around me.

Hands down - the best. Period.
-Matt
'18 Camaro SS Convertible
'15 Corvette Stingray Z51 ([email protected] - 100% stock)
'95 3000GT Spyder VR4 ([email protected] - 540 awhp)

Turbo_StealthRT

Post by Turbo_StealthRT » Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:00 pm

mjannusch wrote:Valentine One - the last radar/laser detector you will ever have to buy.
I agree with Matt. The directional arrows are very nice to have, and Valentine will upgrade your unit with new software (and hardware if necessary) for a minimal cost. You must buy them direct from the manufacturer or purchase a used on one ebay, but the used ones are still 90% of the cost for a new one.
Brad
92&93 RT TT

veerfour05

Post by veerfour05 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:03 pm

valentine or the vector995, nice thing about the vector is that it's upgradable, already has Ku band, and actually has tested out longer range then the Valentine, I'd say one of those 2

PopTart

Post by PopTart » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:31 pm

I have been toying with the idea of a fuzz buster as well but I heard that the cops now have a diferent type of laser that the fuzz busters cant read. some type of white light lazer deal. Any one else know about this? If they do it might be kinda a waste to get one if its not going to do anything.

-Adam
95 3000 GT SL -- Fully remaned engine with Stage one SPEC clutch, 17 inch rims wraped in Kumho rubber, K&N Drop in Filter, 12 inch MTX Subwoofer with 800 watt Pioneer amp custom box and custom trunk interior.

For breakfast I eat Pop Tarts, my car eats civics.

If it aint broke, don't fix it. If it breaks it needed to be after market any way.

mehlostt

Post by mehlostt » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:40 pm

Valentine 1..as Matt says, this has saved me from every radar out there_ no tickets ever since....but_ what the hell is Ku radar? My Valentine was bought new in 1999 and works flawlessly. Side radar directional spottoing, rear radar spotting and front with laser, Ka, K, and X band...am i missing something for detection safety, if I have no clue on Ku radar?
Classic '92 R/T TT AEM EMS, 680 cc's, EVO-III 16G TD-O5, and supporting mods. Gone but still in the family :)
Drives Rotary RX8

mjannusch

Post by mjannusch » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:58 pm

Ku is big in Europe. You can turn it on in your Valentine One if you think you'll encounter it. As far as I know, it isn't in use here.

http://www.valentine1.com/lab/MikesLabRpt3.asp
-Matt
'18 Camaro SS Convertible
'15 Corvette Stingray Z51 ([email protected] - 100% stock)
'95 3000GT Spyder VR4 ([email protected] - 540 awhp)

mehlostt

Post by mehlostt » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:23 am

Whew___( big sigh of relief) Ku doesn't exist..yea!
Classic '92 R/T TT AEM EMS, 680 cc's, EVO-III 16G TD-O5, and supporting mods. Gone but still in the family :)
Drives Rotary RX8

veerfour05

Post by veerfour05 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:07 am

Ku is coming over here, last I heard it's being used in some areas in CA, they're expecting it in the major cities within the next year or so (Chicago, NY, etc.) and it'll be used nationwide within a few years, but as of right now you guys don't need to be too woried about it, I'm not trying to say the Valentine is bad by any means, I'm just saying for what you spend and where you can get it the Vector 995 is usually getting 1 or 2 pts less then the Valentine in reviews, I've done my hw on all of these for work it's almost as good, but yeah like I said before Valentine 1 or Beltronics Vector 995