Troubleshooting my computer

Talk about topics not relating to cars.
curt_gendron
Administrator

Troubleshooting my computer

Post by curt_gendron » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:26 pm

I have a dead computer that I want to get running again, but I'm at my witts end with it. Here is the history...

Its a Dell 2.8Ghz P4 with Hyperthreading. Its been out of warranty for awhile. Right now it won't boot up. If you plug it in the fan kicks on for 2 seconds and then nothing.

As far as troubleshooting, here is what I've done. Took out all PCI and AGP cards. Swapped in and out different memory from other good computers. Tested power supply in another computer. Tested hard drive in other computer. I even ordered up a replacemnt motherboard from Dell and that didn't do it.

Only other thing I can think of is the processor. But how likely is that to go out??? And If I was to replace it, how do I find out the exact processor I'd need?

Any ideas??

later,
Curt

Minnesota 3/S Facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home ... 02602&ap=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sparkygt

Post by sparkygt » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:08 pm

it wont turn on at all? like power button doesnt work or it just wont load to windows? if you oredered a MOBO it should say where you ordered it from(website im guessing) what processors its compatible with. or you could call dell im sure they would tell you also if you end up needing parts i highly recommend http://www.newegg.com they have everything and they have good prices
Do it once, Do it right
1995 3000GT Base, glacier white-intake, DP, test pipe, polyurethane mounts, underdrive crank pulley, lightweight flywheel, exedy stage 1 clutch, stillen brakes, ngk plugs and wires

CDeutsch

Re: Troubleshooting my computer

Post by CDeutsch » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:20 pm

curt_gendron wrote: Only other thing I can think of is the processor. But how likely is that to go out???
It's just as at risk as anything (maybe more so). That's why they have all those fans and heat sinks on them these days. They can go bad if they overheat.
Christopher
08 997 TT

curt_gendron
Administrator

Post by curt_gendron » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:01 am

sparkygt wrote:it wont turn on at all? like power button doesnt work or it just wont load to windows?
When you plug the power cord in, the fan kicks on for 2 seconds and then dies. Windows does not boot up. Power button doesn't really do anything either. I can't even get the fan to kick on again unless I unplug it for a while and plug back in.

later,
Curt

Minnesota 3/S Facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home ... 02602&ap=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BluDevl
Arm Hair Eater

Post by BluDevl » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:03 am

Sounds like your working on a DSM! :lol:
-Steve (Osceola Finalist)
'92 Dodge Stealth R/T Turbo 1 of 327~ HKS Intake, DNP Y-Pipe, Dejon Pre-turbo intake, Stillen 3" DP, GReddy PRofec B-spec II EBC, Short Throw Shifter, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, Power Slot Rotors, Ultimate Performance Strut Tower Bar, TR Motorsports C2 Wheels, and tons of polished goodies!
2016 Mitsubishi Outlander SEL
Check out http://www.Advanceautoparts.com

dafty84

Post by dafty84 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:22 am

Hey Curt, ive got quite a bit of computer equiptment lying around and at my disposal. If you want, i can give you a working processor to try out or a power supply. Let me know, im sure we can get that beast going.

651-278-4517

DJ
Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fu$k the prom queen.

-Sean Connery (The Rock)

ImageImageImageImage

dafty84

Post by dafty84 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:22 am

Let me know what series of Dell you have. I might have a replacement tower for ya. Sometimes replacing the whole damn thing is easier than dissecting it. I have parts and full systems for almost every series of Dimension, Optiplex, and Poweredge. No cost, just my appreciation for the help I've received on here.

-DJ

-Sean Connery (The Rock)

ImageImageImageImage

curt_gendron
Administrator

Post by curt_gendron » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:07 pm

Hey DJ,

Thanks. Thats awesome of you. I'll have to figure out a time I can work on it again. I'll give you a call and maybe I can bring my whole dead computer over and we can swap out parts till we figure it out.

Its a Dimension 4600.

Thanks again,
Curt

dafty84

Post by dafty84 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:32 pm

No problem man. I don't have classes this semester so im pretty open. Just give me a jingle whenever you are ready tear into it.

L8er,

DJ

-Sean Connery (The Rock)

ImageImageImageImage

Machme72

Post by Machme72 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:00 pm

yes it is likely to be your cpu(since you've replaced almost everythign but the case :lol: ) but all the dells i know have an electronic "soft power switch" and these soft switches have a tendancy to go bad.

how these switches work is simple the computer has a small amt of electricity flowing through it while its plugged in. when you depress the button it turns on by simply telling that circuit to boot up. this could be why the fans turn on for a second and die, the switch is telling you computer to shut up and go back to bed. and it has a charge so that when you unplug it the cpu stays off unless you let it go for awhile.

before going all out and replacing the cpu i would look on your board and find the switch and see if you can unplug it and see if you can get it running by the same means you get your fans started, i accomplished this by using the power supply switch instead of the soft power switch on my storage computer. (if you have spare comps lying around as i do you can usually test it farily well :wink: ) my dad is a comp tech for data card, a company that sells card printers to visa and such. and he is always saying how those go out. another way to test is when all the fans boot up, does the fan on the processor go? even if it did intels are know to be able to work after they're fried.

if it does happen to be the processor, you would need to find out the socket # is i think all pentium 4's (it isn't a dual core is it?)are the same 478 or somthing??
otherwise i would find a friend with the same slot as you and try your processor on his machine

but i wouldn't suspect processor 1st, simply because switch is a simple fix
hope its just a switch though
92' Stealth SOHC
72' Mach I 351C 4bbl
Hunting a TT

curt_gendron
Administrator

Post by curt_gendron » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:11 pm

^^^ Isn't the switch on the motherboard? I've swapped out the motherboard. I see the wires running up to the button on the front of the case. I tried unplugging that, but it still just gives me two seconds of the processor fan and then nothing. Are you saying the actual power button needs to be replaced? I suppose I could swap that part with another computer.

later,
Curt

Machme72

Post by Machme72 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:26 pm

curt_gendron wrote:^^^ Isn't the switch on the motherboard? I've swapped out the motherboard. I see the wires running up to the button on the front of the case. I tried unplugging that, but it still just gives me two seconds of the processor fan and then nothing. Are you saying the actual power button needs to be replaced? I suppose I could swap that part with another computer.

later,
Curt
they way i worded it was prolly confusing, yes the switch could be bad and swapping it would tell you immedatly if that was the issue.
92' Stealth SOHC
72' Mach I 351C 4bbl
Hunting a TT

curt_gendron
Administrator

Post by curt_gendron » Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:12 pm

Hot damn!!! It was the dang switch. I swapped it with another computer and it booted right up!!!! Thanks Brandon!!! This is awesome that it was such an easy fix. A little frustrating that it took this long to find. My computer has been dead for 8 months now. :(

So, the next question is, does anyone have a power switch laying around for a Dell Dimension 4600? My switch from my Dimension 2400 worked too. So a switch from either?

I'll hunt around at Dell to see what one is from them.

thanks again,
Curt

predavore

Post by predavore » Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:26 am

Curt,

You can just purchase a momentary switch (i think they are push to close. you can test with an ohm meter) from radio shack. Just recycle the connector from your old one. Call it a "pc mod". Get one with a light and a sticker that says V-Tec. Should make it go faster.

Derek

dafty84

Post by dafty84 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:28 pm

Either that or i can just give you a working dimension 4600 case or an optiplex comparible with a working switch! I only have like 30 of em lol so if you want to take one off my hands, i suppose it wont break my heart. :) Not too mention i have a couple of p4 3.0 processors layin around not doing anything so if you wanted to upgrade that 2.8, you can have one.

-DJ

-Sean Connery (The Rock)

ImageImageImageImage