BP

Talk about topics not relating to cars.
sting1180

BP

Post by sting1180 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:21 pm

This quote was taken from another thread because I thought that instead of filling someones thread up about their transmission, if we want to discuss the issue of BP we should do it in a different one.
As for still going to a BP, you'll change your mind when gas prices go up to pay for this. Who cares about the local guy that owns it. He probably won't lose his house over it. He'd probably just switch to a different franchise. How else are people supposed to show a big company they're disapproval of what they're doing? Write a letter while they destroy a whole coastline and many regular people's livelyhoods? I say who cares about the franchise owner when thousands of people are out of work because of BP.

So I realize BP is wrecking our coastline, but you have to give them credit on the amount of money and efforts they are putting forth to try and make things right, a lot of companies out there would have declared bankruptcy or just quit by now. As far as boycotting the stations, you aren't really hurting BP a whole lot by doing that, they have enough stations and enough people that will keep buying, the only real people getting hurt by that are the local people who can and will lose their house if they lose enough business because of a boycott. Yes they can choose to be an SA or Holiday or some other fuel named franchise, but most of the owners of the stores are under a contract and can't just change, and they have to get permits and pay for the change in signage and promotions and other things in order to change, so it's not really as simple as you state.

Also, did you think of all the people that would be out of a job here in the US if BP were to go out of business because of this. You have people whole deliver the fuel, trucking companies, storage companies, the gas stations themselves and all the employees. Also, you have all the companies and the suppliers of other products at the gas stations that would lose business if BP went under and some of those could possible go under as well.

I'm not trying to harp on the person who originally posted this, that is why I didn't include there s/n, I'm just trying to explain that there is a bigger picture to look at.

Feel free to discuss your viewpoints on this as well, as I know this is a hot topic for some and there are definitely people who feel very strongly towards one side or the other.

I myself will continue to use my local BP gas station, not because it is a BP, but because the service I get from the employees there is better than at other local gas stations. If the station were to change it's name to a holiday or shell or some other name brand but kept the current employees I would still go to this station.
1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 Iridecent Danube Blue, Twin 19T turbos, PTE 680cc injectors, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Pre-cat eliminators, IPS 3" Down pipe, IPS Sleeper E cutout, polished intake, Dejon Tool FMIC, Dejon Tool Blow-thru intake pipes, AEM stand-alone engine management system, AEM gauges, Tru-boost controller, Angel eyes mod, robo headlight mod, 2 rockford P2D's powered by P6002 bridged in series with 6 farad cap, 19" Bazo B52 wrapped in General Exclaim's.

Find used parts at PAM's Auto, Inc IM me at [email protected] or call me toll free direct at 855-363-9203. Also check out our website at http://www.pamsauto.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

curt_gendron
Administrator

Re: BP

Post by curt_gendron » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:20 pm

I think over time as this mess continues, BP will go under because there brand will always be associated with the oil spill. It may take years for it to happen, but I think it will happen. Either that or they will have to change there name and be sneaky about it, so the general population doesn't figure it out.

Boycotting BP because of this, will hurt the gas station owners. But if a gas station sees there sales dropping, they will switch brands eventually. And as those switches happen over the next couple of years, BP will ultimately suffer. And other brands of gasoline will prosper.

Its simple economics.

later,
Curt

Minnesota 3/S Facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home ... 02602&ap=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

greenpanther

Post by greenpanther » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:47 am

I kinda disagree with the speculations that BP will go bankrupt as a result of the accident. The Exxon spill which was, at least so far, worse than the Gulf, ended up costing Exxon less than a billion. With punitive damages reduced severely by the Supreme Court, chances are that BP won't get hit up that hard for those damages. So, all that remains is the claims from individuals and any criminal sanctions for pollution. Either way, I don't think they will reach the $20 billion per year that the company nets as profit. They make far too much money. The only way they could possible go under is if people just flat out stop buying BP oil. But I don't think that is realistic. I guess that's the benefit of making a ridiculous amount of profit each year...you really don't care about any kind of consequences.
95 Stealth R/T - sold | 92 Fiji Blue RT/TT - sold | 93 Pearl White RT/TT

curt_gendron
Administrator

Post by curt_gendron » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:25 pm

Actually the oil spill in the Gulf is a lot more oil than the Exxon spill in Alaska. I remember reading that every 5-10 days there is as much oil coming out as the entire Exxon Valdez ship had. So this is way bigger than that at this point. Plus, this thing isn't stopped yet and no real hope of it being contained.

One other big difference is the number of people it is affecting. Alaska is sparsely populated. The Gulf shores have a lot more residents. Plus it is really going to kill the economy. I think BP is going to have a tough time recovering from this when it all pans out. Time will tell.

Minnesota 3/S Facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home ... 02602&ap=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sting1180

Post by sting1180 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:02 pm

I think if BP can get the leak stopped and get everything cleaned up and get everyone compensated so that they are at least somewhat happy, they will be able to pull through it with out losing too many customers. And in some peoples eyes they may even look like hero's afterwards becaue they did put so much money and time into making things right.

In my opinion this could have happened to any other oil company out there and none of them would have been prepared for it, so to say that BP is not a good company because of that I think is a little much. Who knows, if this would have happened to another company like shell would they have been as willing to pay all the people for money lost or jobs lost or to go through as much trouble. I'm not saying they wouldn't have, but that is something we will never know.
1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 Iridecent Danube Blue, Twin 19T turbos, PTE 680cc injectors, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Pre-cat eliminators, IPS 3" Down pipe, IPS Sleeper E cutout, polished intake, Dejon Tool FMIC, Dejon Tool Blow-thru intake pipes, AEM stand-alone engine management system, AEM gauges, Tru-boost controller, Angel eyes mod, robo headlight mod, 2 rockford P2D's powered by P6002 bridged in series with 6 farad cap, 19" Bazo B52 wrapped in General Exclaim's.

Find used parts at PAM's Auto, Inc IM me at [email protected] or call me toll free direct at 855-363-9203. Also check out our website at http://www.pamsauto.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

greenpanther

Post by greenpanther » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:03 am

curt_gendron wrote:Actually the oil spill in the Gulf is a lot more oil than the Exxon spill in Alaska. I remember reading that every 5-10 days there is as much oil coming out as the entire Exxon Valdez ship had. So this is way bigger than that at this point. Plus, this thing isn't stopped yet and no real hope of it being contained.

One other big difference is the number of people it is affecting. Alaska is sparsely populated. The Gulf shores have a lot more residents. Plus it is really going to kill the economy. I think BP is going to have a tough time recovering from this when it all pans out. Time will tell.
Well, there has been a lot of speculation about how much oil is coming out. Initially it was 5k barrels, then possibly as high as 25k barrels. If that was true then yes, that would be 10 days to equal Exxon...but I doubt that's really how it is. Though, at this point they're probably over the Exxon number, so its a moot point. At a certain point, it just won't matter how much oil gets out.

It's a good point about the difference in population, but I don't think the effect on people will make much of a difference. There are caps for marine pollution laws...and they're not very high. LA and AL have been complaining for a long time to increase them...precisely because of something like this but Congress never cared. As far as personal claims...at worst the fisherman will just miss this season. Even if they recoup the entire lost earnings from the fishing season...it won't be that much to put a dent into BP. Sure they'll have to settle for the 09 model of the ferrari for their bonus, but I'm sure they'll make it through. That's assuming that BP actually follows up on their "we're going to cover everyone's damages claims." Which I'm not entirely convinced that they'll do as much as the people expect. It just wouldn't be commercially feasible for them to start handing out dollar bills. They've got stockholders to answer to and this is more than anything a marketing tool to make sure people don't stop going to BP out of spite.

With things like this...nobody wins. The fisherman and LA residents definitely won't, even if they get their claims from lawsuits.

Flip, I agree. This really could have happened to any oil company. The problem is that all oil companies were not doing enough. There are much stricter laws in Europe and other places as far as marine pollution, but they're pretty lax in the US. There are other possible, albeit expensive, methods to provide backups for shutting off deep sea valves, but oil companies don't feel like they need to get them. So, I also feel some sympathy for BP, since it was not even their own platform, but in the end I go back to the fact that they were in charge of it. Am I going to stop going to BP? Probably not. But I really hope they follow through on their promises to compensate people. Some folks really did lose their livelihoods.

If you need anymore proof about how protected commercial marine corporations are, look up Limitation of Liability Act. In a nutshell, it allows you to limit damages that occur on a vessel to the value of the vessel, after the incident. So if the vessel is worth $1, you get $1, regardless of damages. I'm actually curious to see if BP might try to make that argument for at least some of their claims.
95 Stealth R/T - sold | 92 Fiji Blue RT/TT - sold | 93 Pearl White RT/TT

guido1205us

Post by guido1205us » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:51 pm

I don't know any gas stations owners so I don't have any loyalty to any brand. I also don't believe in boycotting as BP is doing the right thing. They're the only ones in my neck of the woods that carries 93 so that's where I fill up the VR-4.
The Toys

veerfour05

Post by veerfour05 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:17 pm

There are way more people to blame than BP, and they're the ones doing by far the most to try to contain the spill. That being said Obama is trying to pin this whole mess on them. I think BP is done in the US. There is no way the company will go bankrupt though because they are huge internationally.

BP's strategy right now should be instead of spending all this money on their PR campaign, spend that money on the best lawyers out there, settle every lawsuit for as cheap as possible, and bail out of the US. Too many bleeding heart liberals here that will be crying for blood for years to come.
UMG 2010 breakdown champion!!!

sparkygt

Post by sparkygt » Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:19 am

veerfour05 wrote:There are way more people to blame than BP, and they're the ones doing by far the most to try to contain the spill. That being said Obama is trying to pin this whole mess on them. I think BP is done in the US. There is no way the company will go bankrupt though because they are huge internationally.

BP's strategy right now should be instead of spending all this money on their PR campaign, spend that money on the best lawyers out there, settle every lawsuit for as cheap as possible, and bail out of the US. Too many bleeding heart liberals here that will be crying for blood for years to come.
with the u.s. as the largest consumer of oil, i dont think bp can or will dip out of the us. they'll still sell their gas here. it just might not say bp on it for a little while. i also think the number of ppl who will still go to bp outweigh the bleeding heart liberals crying for blood. i think there are a ton of ppl here jumping on the shit on bp bandwagon, just to have a cause. (often referred to as mass stupidity) ive even been seeing political adds trying to use the situation. which made me think "lame"

in 10 years how do you think people will remember this? i think bp is doing the right thing. they want people to remember like this- "hey theres a bp lets get some gas." "yea sure. hey you remember that big bp oil spill a few years back?" "yep, that could have been worse. they did a good job handling that"
Do it once, Do it right
1995 3000GT Base, glacier white-intake, DP, test pipe, polyurethane mounts, underdrive crank pulley, lightweight flywheel, exedy stage 1 clutch, stillen brakes, ngk plugs and wires

veerfour05

Post by veerfour05 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:58 am

Everyone just loves the latest cause.

On a side note I stopped at a BP the other day and some douchbag in front of me was bitching out the 16 year old kid behind the counter about the oil spill. Because we all know that cashiers have a lot of pull within the corperation.
UMG 2010 breakdown champion!!!