35 dollar ball joints

Threads with great technical info will be moved here. Don't post new threads in here.
Forum rules
This forum is strictly for technical info concerning the 3/S platform. A mod will move threads to this forum that we think contain great technical info. This should cut down on the need to search for that good thread out there. Hopefully it lands here instead.

Please don't start a new thread in this forum. If you want to reply to a thread in this forum, that is o.k. Just make sure you are adding solid information to the topic of that thread.

Also, if you are searching for good technical info, there are a couple of great websites out there that are easily search-able:

Stealth316.com: http://stealth316.com/0-frames.htm
and
3SI WiKi: http://www.3si.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Both those websites have search boxes. They have helped me countless times. And you'll notice that a lot of the threads in "The Good Stuff" forum are going to have links to these websites.
chevelle3454

35 dollar ball joints

Post by chevelle3454 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:14 am

I'm sure many of you know from the thread on 3si that there are some ball joints that can be purchased at autozone that will work for our cars. Well last week I ordered all four that they talk about, we got them in 3 days ago and I tried all of them. I found that three of them don't work, but the one for a 1995 Hyundai Sonata works perfect for our cars.

Part number 104244 at autozone, Lifetime warranty and for only 35 bucks much better then the 75 bucks they want at 3sx. Like I said before I'm sure most of you out there know this but for those who didn't you do now. AutoZone dont keep them in stock but they can be ordered and shipped to the store in 2 days.

sting1180

Re: 35 dollar ball joints

Post by sting1180 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:24 pm

I did not know this, but this is something that should probably be put into the Good Stuff category.
1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 Iridecent Danube Blue, Twin 19T turbos, PTE 680cc injectors, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Pre-cat eliminators, IPS 3" Down pipe, IPS Sleeper E cutout, polished intake, Dejon Tool FMIC, Dejon Tool Blow-thru intake pipes, AEM stand-alone engine management system, AEM gauges, Tru-boost controller, Angel eyes mod, robo headlight mod, 2 rockford P2D's powered by P6002 bridged in series with 6 farad cap, 19" Bazo B52 wrapped in General Exclaim's.

Find used parts at PAM's Auto, Inc IM me at [email protected] or call me toll free direct at 855-363-9203. Also check out our website at http://www.pamsauto.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

curt_gendron
Administrator

Post by curt_gendron » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:33 pm

So, is this ball joint only for the NAs? And will it work for all years? I'm too lazy to do the research myself. ;)

Minnesota 3/S Facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home ... 02602&ap=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

chevelle3454

Post by chevelle3454 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:33 pm

See thats the next problem, I dont know if the ball joints changed from year to year and NA to TT. I do know for sure that it will work on a 95 NA though.

Right now my NA has the A arm and ball joint from the red 92 TT that Eric got and its working. So my educated guess is that it will work for any year.

sting1180

Post by sting1180 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:13 pm

1994-1996 Stealths DOHC and 1994-1999 3000GT's DOHC, are the same for the control arm and because it's considered a non-serviceable ball joint by mitsubishi that would include the ball joint in that interchange. It's very possible the ball joint could fit all years, but the control arms do have a different interchange on them. Curt if you want me to, I can post up the rest of the interchanges for the control arms, but they get kinda messy for the 1st gens.
1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 Iridecent Danube Blue, Twin 19T turbos, PTE 680cc injectors, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Pre-cat eliminators, IPS 3" Down pipe, IPS Sleeper E cutout, polished intake, Dejon Tool FMIC, Dejon Tool Blow-thru intake pipes, AEM stand-alone engine management system, AEM gauges, Tru-boost controller, Angel eyes mod, robo headlight mod, 2 rockford P2D's powered by P6002 bridged in series with 6 farad cap, 19" Bazo B52 wrapped in General Exclaim's.

Find used parts at PAM's Auto, Inc IM me at [email protected] or call me toll free direct at 855-363-9203. Also check out our website at http://www.pamsauto.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Oskar

Post by Oskar » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:42 am

Good info in this thread! Thanks for posting. Nice change of pace from all the butt sex threads that seem to dominate this board lately...
'95 R/T TT
'96 R/T TT
'09 G8 GT
'11 XC-60 T6

chevelle3454

Post by chevelle3454 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:40 am

After looking at the 3sx web site it looks like the A-arms are the same for 91-92 3000, stealth, NA, and TT. They then changed and stayed the same from 93 on up for all the models. But they sell only one ball joint so I'm sure that even if the A-arms change the ball joints are the same.

If all else fails order one test fit it in the knuckle and A-arm, make sure it fits before you use it. As long as it isn't pressed in AutoZone will return it.

conquest_tsi

Post by conquest_tsi » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:44 pm

I seem to remember the difference was in the rear bushing. I just looked at CAPS and the illustration shows the early ones combine the rear bushing and the bracket that bolts to the chassis into one unit that is held on the control arm with a nut/washers. On the later arms the bracket and bushing are two separate pieces and the rear portion of the arm that the bushing slides onto no longer has the threaded tip/nut to lock the bushing assembly on the arm. It must just be held in place by the by the bracket.

CAPS shows the ealier arms including the bushing/bracket assembly but the later arms include only the bushing and the bracket is separated off. Ball joint boot, nut and retaining clip are all the same part number between both so that would also seem to indicate that both ball joints are the same.

I would guess all arms should be interchangeable as long as you have the specific rear bushing/bracket that goes with that arm.
-1992 Stealth RT/TT
TD05-16Gs

sting1180

Post by sting1180 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:25 pm

Not to bring up an old thread but I'm doing some spring time maintenance on my car and decided to do hubs, brakes and ball joints. I just ordered a pair of ball joints from Advance Auto Parts for $22.99 each for the 95 Hyundai Sonata. I will hopefully know soon if they will work or not, but according to all my research the same ball joint was used for all makes and models of the 3000GT.

sting1180

Post by sting1180 » Sun May 02, 2010 11:56 pm

So I finally got around to putting in my 1995 Hyundai Sonata front ball joints into my 1994 3000GT VR-4! They work Great! I bought the ball joints at Advance for $19.99 each. I took the lower control arms out myself and brought them into Tire's Plus, only place that was open and could press them in on a sunday, and that was $46.

BluDevl
Arm Hair Eater

Post by BluDevl » Mon May 10, 2010 9:17 am

Just a little FYI to this thread, you are able to obtain a ball joint press from Advance Auto Parts and do the ball joint yourself. The press is a free rental and it only took me about 20 minutes to press in and out the ball joints per side. This may save you 46 bucks.... Also, the part number for the ball joint through Moog is: K9855
-Steve (Osceola Finalist)
'92 Dodge Stealth R/T Turbo 1 of 327~ HKS Intake, DNP Y-Pipe, Dejon Pre-turbo intake, Stillen 3" DP, GReddy PRofec B-spec II EBC, Short Throw Shifter, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, Power Slot Rotors, Ultimate Performance Strut Tower Bar, TR Motorsports C2 Wheels, and tons of polished goodies!
2016 Mitsubishi Outlander SEL
Check out http://www.Advanceautoparts.com

Oskar

Post by Oskar » Mon May 10, 2010 4:36 pm

Yeah, I also did my own a few years ago using press I got from Harbor Freight.
'95 R/T TT
'96 R/T TT
'09 G8 GT
'11 XC-60 T6

BluDevl
Arm Hair Eater

Post by BluDevl » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:58 pm

Just a little update: Only 23.99 on Advanceautoparts.com!

I built a link that will be evergreen for anyone who would like to obtain the Moog ball joint:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp ... m=20518427" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-Steve (Osceola Finalist)
'92 Dodge Stealth R/T Turbo 1 of 327~ HKS Intake, DNP Y-Pipe, Dejon Pre-turbo intake, Stillen 3" DP, GReddy PRofec B-spec II EBC, Short Throw Shifter, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, Power Slot Rotors, Ultimate Performance Strut Tower Bar, TR Motorsports C2 Wheels, and tons of polished goodies!
2016 Mitsubishi Outlander SEL
Check out http://www.Advanceautoparts.com