Fluids...

Threads with great technical info will be moved here. Don't post new threads in here.
Forum rules
This forum is strictly for technical info concerning the 3/S platform. A mod will move threads to this forum that we think contain great technical info. This should cut down on the need to search for that good thread out there. Hopefully it lands here instead.

Please don't start a new thread in this forum. If you want to reply to a thread in this forum, that is o.k. Just make sure you are adding solid information to the topic of that thread.

Also, if you are searching for good technical info, there are a couple of great websites out there that are easily search-able:

Stealth316.com: http://stealth316.com/0-frames.htm
and
3SI WiKi: http://www.3si.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Both those websites have search boxes. They have helped me countless times. And you'll notice that a lot of the threads in "The Good Stuff" forum are going to have links to these websites.
Z.

Fluids...

Post by Z. » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:13 am

Hey all,
What kind of fluids should I be using for my vr4? I'm looking specifically for the transmission, transfer case, rear diff, engine oil, and brake fluids. so pretty much all of them... I'm not sure what the differences are between mtl and gear lube. Also, what does shockproof mean and what makes a fluid "shockproof"?

apickle

Re: Fluids...

Post by apickle » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:10 am

"Shockproof" refers to the Redline brand "Shockproof Heavy" gear lube. It's GL-5 rated, so it's really only good for the transfer case, but it's the fluid most people use. It's got a very particular color, so it also makes it easy to see if your transfer case is leaking.

The rear diff is just regular 75W90 gear oil, synthetic or regular. Redline 75W90 gear oil is popular, I've been using the Mobil1 synthetic 75W90(?) gear oil myself.

Transmission NEEDS a GL-4 rated fluid, either the Redline MTL/MT-90 mix, the GM/Penzoil Synchromesh, Amsoil has a GL-4 Manual Transmission Fluid, or the BG Synchroshift to name a few. I'm using the Penzoil Synchromesh, just because it's the easiest for me to find locally.

I personally like the Rotella T 5W40 synthetic diesel oil, it holds up very well to higher temperatures like you see in a turbocharged application. I sent in samples to Blackstone Labs on my VR4 last year with it, and was extremely happy with it. I run a 5-6,000 mile change interval with it, but I'd run your own samples if you really want to see how far you can go.

Brake fluid, I've been using the ATE DOT4 fluids, both the Super Blue and the regular clear. I alternate the two, which makes it easy to see when you've flushed the old fluid out and gotten fresh fluid all the way to the caliper.
1992 3000GT VR4 || 2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT || 2003 Suzuki SV650s

sting1180

Post by sting1180 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:40 am

Hey Curt, Andy's post should maybe be put in the Good Stuff, he put some nice information in there.
1994 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 Iridecent Danube Blue, Twin 19T turbos, PTE 680cc injectors, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Pre-cat eliminators, IPS 3" Down pipe, IPS Sleeper E cutout, polished intake, Dejon Tool FMIC, Dejon Tool Blow-thru intake pipes, AEM stand-alone engine management system, AEM gauges, Tru-boost controller, Angel eyes mod, robo headlight mod, 2 rockford P2D's powered by P6002 bridged in series with 6 farad cap, 19" Bazo B52 wrapped in General Exclaim's.

Find used parts at PAM's Auto, Inc IM me at [email protected] or call me toll free direct at 855-363-9203. Also check out our website at http://www.pamsauto.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

ominousone

Post by ominousone » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:37 pm

What's the MTL/90 mix again?

Thx,
Bill
1994 Black TT. Eibach springs, KYB struts, TEC front strut bar, Borla cat-back, Cianci Viper scoop hood. 17 x 9.5 5Zigens custom powder coated by Precision Wheel in Hopkins, MN. 13gs and RC 550 help support up to 18 lb. boost. And plenty more toys and trinkets. Thanks, to M-Spec for work well done.
New profession=Sales Consultant at Inver Grove Hyundai.

curt_gendron
Administrator

Post by curt_gendron » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:15 pm

ominousone wrote:What's the MTL/90 mix again?

Thx,
Bill
Its a mix of Redline MTL and Redline MT90. I use 1.5 qts of MTL and one qt of MT90. I think 3SX flip flops those numbers.

Minnesota 3/S Facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home ... 02602&ap=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ominousone

Post by ominousone » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:03 pm

Thx man. I ended up doing 50/50, so it should be fine.

Later,
Bill
1994 Black TT. Eibach springs, KYB struts, TEC front strut bar, Borla cat-back, Cianci Viper scoop hood. 17 x 9.5 5Zigens custom powder coated by Precision Wheel in Hopkins, MN. 13gs and RC 550 help support up to 18 lb. boost. And plenty more toys and trinkets. Thanks, to M-Spec for work well done.
New profession=Sales Consultant at Inver Grove Hyundai.