Project car...

General car discussion and other related topics of interest for MN 3/S members.
91-RT/TT

Project car...

Post by 91-RT/TT » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:34 pm

Hi all,

So about 10 years ago, I decided the tranny and t- case in my 91 RT/TT needed some work. So I parked the car, tore in to it, and had the motor refreshed with new rings, all new seals and bearings, new water and oil pump, new timing belt and tensioners, and refreshed heads. But life got busy and I hadn't sent out the tranny and t-case till December of this year. (yup, it is a little embarrassing...). So now the motor has been sitting around for almost 10 years, and here is the question: is is critical to replace some of those 60k maintenance items before I put it all back together? My primary concern is the timing belt and the tensioner. They have 0 miles on them, but are 10 years old... Any thoughts?

I'm really hoping to have it all back together and at the show this year, but am also nervous about other gremlins that might pop up, primarily electrical or vacuum in nature.
1991 Stealth RT/TT Almost Stock - All back together now, with a few bolts to spare. :D

curt_gendron
Administrator

Re: Project car...

Post by curt_gendron » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:50 pm

I would change out the belts at least. Maybe the tensioner. On the plus side, Gates now makes a kevlar timing belt for the 3/S. That didn't exist 10 years ago. LOL. I'm using one on my Spyder.

Minnesota 3/S Facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home ... 02602&ap=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

91-RT/TT

Post by 91-RT/TT » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:01 pm

Sounds good. Thanks for the advise. Made some good progress this weekend, but still a ways to go. Hopefully the next parts shipment comes soon.
1991 Stealth RT/TT Almost Stock - All back together now, with a few bolts to spare. :D

Swandvr

Post by Swandvr » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:13 pm

How did your project turn out? I am now in the same boat so to speak. Transfer case rebuild and now car has been sitting in the garage for 10 years. Have to put tc in and do 60k.
Things you never sell. Your wife, your gun, your 3000GT....